3114 Burnside Line
3114 Burnside Line
Our service area extends from Orillia north to the Muskoka area and from the Bracebridge area down through Simcoe Country including Barrie and Innisfil, south to Newmarket. 3114 Burnside Line, 5km west of Hwy #11. Orillia, Ontario, L3V 6H4
Sales: Anthony Ferritto
In 1873 the Crown granted a 200 acre parcel of land near Orillia to Jeremiah Lynes who was the first to extract stone from this area. During that time lumber-milling was active in the area and the major source of transportation was by rail. The Orillia - Midland Railway owned by a German gentleman Baron Von Hugel, established a train station in the area in 1879 and gave it the name Uhthoff after a town in Germany. A village developed around the station and took on the stations name. Due to the quarry's proximity to the train station and town, it was commonly referred to as the Uhthoff Quarry and the name has remained. Rail played a major part in the early years of the quarry's development and remained the main source of transportation to market until the rail was removed in the early ninety's. Today all product is transported by road with haulage trucks.
In 1900 the quarry was sold to the Ontario Stone Corporation and sold again in 1929 to a company called Limestone Products. In 1974 the company was sold to King Paving a division of Flintkote Co of Canada Ltd. Flintkote was acquired by Genstar Stone Products Inc in 1980 who sold the quarry in 1983 to the current owner Nelson Aggregate Co.
The Village of Uhthoff gradually disappeared around 1930 with the depletion of the timber resources and much of the surrounding land was converted into farm lands. Although the original train station and the village are gone the quarry name is one of the last historical reminders of a once thriving community.
Over the years the quarry has produced vast amounts of aggregate materials used in road base, rail ballast, and land development and continues to this day to supply various aggregates for the asphalt, concrete and construction markets.
Today the quarry covers an area of over 1400 licensed acres. Our market area covers Muskoka to the North and south into the northern Toronto market.